Pickleball is back!
Please note that the province of Nova Scotia has announced that participants of recreation programs will need to show proof of double vaccination beginning on October 4th. We are awaiting additional guidance & details from the government and various sectors that we host within the facility to determine the logistics of this new requirement. We must adhere to this requirement; verbal or physical abuse of staff will not be tolerated and will result in the termination of your membership or program, without refund &/or you may not be permitted to return to the facility.
The procedures below are subject to change based on the public health guidelines.
Pickleball, a racket sport played indoors on a badminton-size court is designed much like tennis but is played at a slower pace with a few differences.
Room: Gymnasium Equipment Required: Comfortable clothing, water bottle & racket Instructor: N/A
**NEW Covid-19 Related Registration Procedure and Play Guidelines for Pickleball**
Days & Times:
Monday, Thursday & Friday 10am – 12pm
Entrance doors will open at 9:45am, access to the gymnasium will not be granted until 10am due to other programming & the required cleaning procedures that need to take place ahead of the pickleball program.
Start date: Monday, September 20th, 2021
September 30th, 2021
October 11th, 2021
November 11th, 2021
December 30th, 2021
Please note that there are a handful of dates that may be excluded depending on the needs of the facility on those days. We will confirm or cancel pickleball in the lead-up to these dates. Possible exclusion dates:
October 22nd, 2021
November 19th, 2021
December 23rd, 2021
December 27th, 2021
In previous phases of the covid-19 plan, participants were required to call ahead to register as we were limited to 20 people. Under phase 4 we are able to accept a maximum of 25 people. As we did not exceed this number during our previous phases, we have decided to return to a drop-in process, which will be on a first-come, first-served basis. This means that if the maximum amount of participants are met, we will have to turn people away.
As in previous phases, the main doors will be opened at 9:45am and locked at 10am. Please do not arrive earlier than 9:45am and no late arrivals. Early arrivals can not be accommodated as the gymnasium space will be used for other programming up until the scheduled start time of 10am. Guests will be asked to sanitize, sign in & pay for their session upon arrival at the Front Desk before proceeding directly to the gymnasium.
- Participants must arrive dressed to play. Changing facilities/lockers are not available.
- Participants must wear a non-medical mask at all times when not playing a game.
- Sessions will be capped at 25 players to allow for maximum playtime and limited players waiting for a court.
- Nets will be set up by PRCC staff in advance of participant arrival. Benches will be available to waiting players. Participants must bring their own balls/rackets and staff will take down nets at the end of the session.
- Sessions will begin at 10am sharp and end promptly at 12pm. Participants must leave quickly to allow for cleaning to take place following the session.
- Washroom access will be limited to the back “fitness area” washrooms only.
- 2-metres of distance should be kept from other players at all times. Players must consider playing singles or doubles with household or exclusive bubble partners only.
- Players must avoid all physical contact such as shaking hands or tapping paddles with other players.
- Masks do not have to be worn during play but players should consider wearing masks if it’s comfortable for them to do so.
- Sanitizing spray & cloths will be available in the gymnasium space to allow for adequate sanitization of paddles/balls as necessary.
- Waiting players must maintain a distance of 2-meters from other waiting players.
Fees & payment: Daily fee – $4.00 10-session punch card – $35.00
Payment will be accepted via credit/debit only at this time.
Outdoor Pickleball at the PRCC
The outdoor multi-use, sports court construction was completed in the fall of 2018. The court is currently lined for multiple pickleball courts, and portable nets are located in a locked storage box secured to the court fence. The key to access the nets is available at the PRCC front desk during regular business hours.
Please note that as the PRCC facility is closed to the public at this time, due to Covid-19 & public health restrictions & protocols, we are unable to facilitate access to the lockbox & nets. Note that the PRCC is unable to loan equipment for use on the sports court.